Thursday, December 17, 2015

Vung Tau - famous destination for weekendtrips from Saigon City

Vung Tau - well-known location for weekendtrips from Saigon City

Vung Tau (Vũng Tàu) is a city in Southern Vietnam. It is 125 km (about 77 miles) from Ho Chi Minh City, and is a popular location for weekend journeys from Ho Chi Minh City.

Understand

Vung Tau is the tourist and mall of Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu (a commercial province in Southeastern Vietnam). The entire city location pushes a peninsula which is separated from the mainland by a gulf river called Co May river.

History

Throughout 14th and 15th centuries, the cape that would end up being Vũng Tàu was an area which European trading ships went to routinely. Portuguese navigators who passed Vũng Tàu lots of times called it Sant'Iago after Saint James.

Vũng Tàu was initially referred to as Tam Thắng ("Three Boats") in memory of the very first 3 villages in this location: Thắng Nhất, Thắng Nhị, Thắng Tam. It was within the province of Biên Hòa under the Nguyen dynasty, the last imperial house to rule Vietnam.

February 10, 1859 marks the date of making use of cannons by the Nguyen militaries versus the French when they fired at the French battleships from the fortress of Phước Thắng, located 100 m from Vũng Tàu's Front Beach. This marked an essential duration in Vietnam's war against French invaders in the Southern the majority of part of Vietnam (then called Cochinchina). However, the French succeeded in dominating the southern part of Vietnam by 18 February 1859.

In 1876, according to a decree by the French colonialists, Vũng Tàu was merged in BACHELOR'S DEGREE Rịacounty, a part of Saigon administration (French: Circonscription De Saigon).

On 1 May 1895 the governor of Cochinchina developed by decree that Cap Saint Jacques would afterwards be a self-governing town. In 1898, Cap Saint Jacques was merged with Bachelor's degree Ria County as soon as again but was divided once again in 1899.

vietnam visa for australian

In 1901, the population of Vũng Tàu was 5,690, of which 2000 persons were immigrants from Northern Vietnam. Most of the town's population made their living in the fishing industry.

On 4 April 1905 Cap Saint Jacques was made a management district of Ba Ria province. In 1929, Cap Saint Jacques became a province, and in 1934 became a city (commune).

The French guv of Indochina, Paul Doumer (who later on became President of France), constructed an estate in Vũng Tàu that is still a prominent landmark in the city.

During the Vietnam War (called the American War in Vietnam), Vũng Tàu was the home of the Australian Army and American assistance systems, and was a popular spot for in-country R&R for U.S. battle soldiers. After the war, Vũng Tàu was a common introducing place for the Vietnamese Boat People running away the brand-new regime.

On 30 May 1979, Vũng Tàu town was made the capital of Vũng Tàu-Côn Đảo Unique Admistrative Zone.

On 12 August 1991, the province of BACHELOR'S DEGREE Rịa-Vũng Tàu was officially established and Vũng Tàu town formally became Vũng Tàu city.

Economy and society

The city lies in the southern part of Vietnam, and is positioned at the tip of a little peninsula. It has actually generally been a substantial port, especially throughout Vietnam's period of French guideline. Today, the city's importance as a shipping port has actually decreased, but it still plays a significant role in Vietnam's overseas oil market. Vung Tau is the only petroleum base of Vietnam where crude oil and gas exploitation activities control the city's economy and contribute principal income to Vietnam's budget plan and export volume.

Vũng Tàu is the home of 210,000 people, of which 1250 are Russians working as specialists in the oil market.

Phu My Port is a deep-water port able to accommodate ships varying in between 40,000 and 60,000 dwt.Phu My is a business port with no towns close by. A shuttle may be offered to the small town of Bachelor's degree Ria where you can take a taxi to a bigger city like Vung Tau.


During 15th and 14th centuries, the cape that would become Vũng Tàu was an area which European trading ships went to routinely. The ships' activities influenced the name Vũng Tàu, which indicates "ship's bay" or "anchorage" in Vietnamese. Portuguese navigators who passed Vũng Tàu numerous times called it Sant'Iago after Saint James. The cliff of Vũng Tàu is now called Mũi Nghinh Phong (literally indicates "Cape of greeting the wind").

February 10, 1859 marks the date of the usage of cannons by the Nguyen armed forces against the French when they fired at the French battleships from the fortress of Phước Thắng, situated 100 m from Vũng Tàu's Front Beach.